Developing with Sakai
The Sakai Project provides several ways for users and developers to find information about Sakai and to communicate with those installing and maintaining Sakai, and developing tools for Sakai.
If you intend stay involved in the Sakai project you should join one of two Mailing
Lists/Sakai Groups. Since Sakai is a collaborative environment, we use Sakai to
communciate with those installing/maintaining Sakai and those who are developing
These groups are hosted at the
collab.sakaiproject.org. You will have
create an account, register, and join the group(s) you would like.
There are other groups hosted here as well.
- Sakai Users (email@example.com) - This is a general group for questions
on how to install, support, and configure Sakai.
- Sakai Developers (firstname.lastname@example.org) - This is a group for questions
regarding developing using Sakai or for those who are part of the Sakai development team.
If you are member of the
Sakai Educational Partners
(SEPP) there are additional groups which will be available to you beyond the public
groups described above. These additional groups deal with planning for future releases of
Sakai and provide communication forums on a wide range of topics from data import/export to
New information on the 1.5.1 release will also be posted in the Sakai 1.5.1 space in the Sakai Confluence instance. The contents of this space are based on your needs so please contribute your comments, questions, and answers.
The steps to joining the Sakai Developer or Sakai User groups are as follows:
We hope to see you there...
- Navigate to collab.sakaiproject.org.
- On the left find the New Account button.
- Fill in the fields for your account.
Make sure that your E-Mail address is where your mail is "from" when you send mail or
you won't be allowed to send to the lists because a list may be configured to
only accept mail from members.
When you have filled in the fields,
press Create Account. Your account
is automatically created and you are logged into your My Workspace. This is a Sakai
"site" just for you.
- Press the Membership button on the left hand side. You will be presented a list
of sites which you can join. Check the ones you like and press Join.
- The newly joined sites will appear in your site selection area. You can switch between
sites by clicking on different sites. When you have more than 5-6 sites, you will see a
drop-down for the rest of your sites.
- One more thing that you may want to do is to go
to My Workspace -> Preferences -> Edit and select how much (or how little)
information you want from your new subscriptions.
- At that point you can go to the Sakai User or Sakai Developer sites
and explore the capabilities of the sites.
... The Sakai Development Team